Monday, February 13, 2006

The Constant Gardner

In recent months there was a movie released entitled “The Constant Gardner.” I haven’t seen the movie, but I love the title. In my series right now about spiritual immersion I have found myself dwelling on the study of plants and their root systems. This idea of the vinedresser and the relationship that the vine and the branches have in conjunction to one another has sparked my thoughts greatly.

In my time with Abba this morning I came across a statement that read, “We must understand that the root of all sin is a lack of fervent love for Christ. The very root of sin is the love and worship of self over God.” If you read much at all, then you have probably come across some authors that you don't agree with on everything they write about. They may have a different perspective on spiritual things, life, marriage, parenting and so on. Because I read so critically I’ve learned to spot differences pretty quickly and that’s not always a good thing.

I write all that to ask if you know what the feeling is like when you spot something you innately disagree with? That something that wells up in you with disparity?” Well, that’s what crept in when I read this statement about the root of all sin. It was like something in me was saying that this train of thought wasn’t correct. And so I dropped anchor on this for a while and wrestled with it. My study asked me on a scale of 1-10, how would I rate my zeal for Christ? It asked if I’m deeply excited about Bible study, witnessing or serving my community.

After reading Philippians 2:3-4, 1 Peter 5:5 and Psalm 51:17 it dawned on my just how true this was. My flesh was proving it as it welled up against the thought that I worship self over God. My pride didn’t want to believe this. My lack of love for Christ was hidden behind my ability to manufacture what I thought was God at work. I guess in a way He was at work, just not the way I thought. He is working even in my selfishness to produce something that reflects Him. Like John 15 talks about when the vindresser prunes in order to produce more fruit. So when I see that my sin is directly attached to the worship I place on myself it makes me reexamine what I define as worship to my King.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home